Saturday, October 4, 2008

More Fair














They left me with your shadow,
saying things like, "Life is not fair..."
and I believed them
for a long time....
But today, I remembered the sound of your laugh,
and the heat of your hand in mine

and I knew that life is more fair than we can ever imagine
if we are there to live it.

It has been nearly 22 years since she died, and I still have days when I yearn to talk to her. The memory is a phenomenally complex thing. One scent, or sound, or experience, can stimulate a number of things from one's past. Today it was smelling her perfume as I passed the perfume counter at Macy's. French with white floral undertones. After she died I used to go into her jewelry box to smell her jewelry. By the next year, her scent had faded, but never left my memory. I miss her.

No comments: